About Me & Disclaimer

Sunday, 18 September 2016

Makeup memory lane...

Hi All,

I thought I would post something a bit fun today!

Lately, there is a trend on Youtube where people show viewers how they did their makeup in High school. It's usually hilarious and cringe worthy. So, inspired by them, today I want to share the embarrassing stages of my own makeup journey:

Keep in mind that a lot of today's makeup techniques and fads weren't around back then...

9-10:
We begin our journey in the 90's. I know 9 is a very early start in makeup, but most of the other girls in my class were using it. In the 90's it was all about girl power and self-expression. We were obsessed with nail varnishes and makeup. Not that we owned much of our own, it was usually old makeup our Mums gave us to play with. At this time I sported my mum's brown eyeshadow just on the lid and Rimmel's Heather Shimmer lipstick. I looked a right state!

11-12:
I still occasionally wore the brown lid but the move to high-school saw me start to experiment with lip gloss and coloured eyeshadow. Again just on the lid, no blending or eye liner. I may have occasionally wore mascara as well, but it would be an unbranded one from a makeup set. I also used translucent powder all over my face, with the applicator it came with for some reason too!


13-14:
I slowly moved into a more gothic phase in the early 2000's. I now wore black eye shadow on my lid. -Seriously why was I not blending or wearing eyeliner? This look I had adopted for myself did nothing for my bug eyes. I sometimes didn't even wear mascara, which meant you would see my blonde eyelashes against the black eye shadow - cringe!

14-15:
I now wore a black lid and white above it stretching up to my eyebrow, this may be one of the worst looks ever! Oh, and I finally introduced eyeliner (Hooray, way to go girl!) which kind of balanced out the top and bottom of my eyes a bit! I think I started wearing concealer at this time too, I'm not sure.

16-22
So I finally discovered how to blend my eye makeup a bit! (Again, Hooray!) I wore pale grey shadow on my lid, liquid eyeliner and I blended brown into my crease. I wore a smokey eyeliner underneath. Pink blush, which I applied almost like a contour and a pale pink lipgloss. It made for quite a grungey look. I also discovered dream matte mousse foundation by Maybelline around this time, it was probably too dark, and I hadn't got a clue how to apply it! I plucked my eyebrows into oblivion and had to draw them back on, I drew a harsh thin curved line with a brown eyebrow pencil, - I am not even kidding! I wore this makeup for a long time.

22-28 (now)
I still rock the grunge eye makeup look a lot, but I also discovered how to do eyebrows and other makeup tricks. My makeup got a lot better over the years. Last year that I finally thought: For goodness sake, grow back your eyebrows! They look a lot better now. Up until last year, I still wasn't using makeup brushes, apart from a blush brush and a tiny sponge eyeshadow applicator and eyeshadow brush from a makeup set. (I actually 'blended' with it!) In the last year I have watched a lot of tutorials and read a lot of magazines, so although my makeup still isn't perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than it was!

Even though I cringe so hard when I look back, I know that I am not alone. I am sure I will look back in 10 years time and question the makeup that I choose to wear now.

What was your worst makeup look or phase? Tell me in the comments!

Till next time,
Roar Dinosaur! x

Contact: roardinosaurblog@outlook.com
Twitter: roardinosaur_




No comments:

Post a Comment