About Me & Disclaimer

Sunday, 19 February 2017

Tips for working from home

Hi Everyone!
I have been working for myself since 2010, the last three years of that as a freelance book illustrator. I think a lot of people have the misconception that working for yourself from home is easy, and while I don't envy those of you who have to go out to work, working from home certainly isn't easy. It has its perks, but like anything in life, it also has its downsides too.
This year I have vowed that I am going to set a work routine and get more organised, so these are some ideas I have put together for myself. I plan on sticking to them as much as I can. I thought I would pop them on the blog in case anyone else might benefit from them too.

I am just going to throw a little disclaimer up: What I am writing here may not work for you. We are all different (Thank god!) and we all have different ways of doing things. So what might work for me, might not necessarily work for you.
Make an area to work from
Previously I worked from bed, and although I will still do this from time to time, I was fed up of losing my stationary in my bedding, finding pens stuck in my back when I went to sleep and eraser bits everywhere. Not to mention if I used charcoal pencils it would mark my sheets! This year I put together an office space for me to blog and illustrate in, it's only small but I'm seeing a difference already! Using your bed as an office isn't always the best thing to do, if you associate your bed with work, then it no longer becomes a place to unwind and sleep. 

Make sure your working area is comfy, practical and also looks how you want it too, this will encourage you to use it. Try adding flowers, inspirational quotes, photos and ornaments. It needn't cost the Earth though.
This is the desk I bought Here
Draws for my office area Here

Routine
If you set yourself a routine and try and stick to it, you'll be more likely to be productive. Hang a calendar on the wall and mark down what needs doing and for when. I use a diary as well, I write everything in there as I have the worst memory! Also make sure you set yourself a start/finish time, breaks and lunch, just like you would have if you went out to work.

Get Ready
Often when we work from home we wear PJ's and don't get me wrong, I love being able to do that, but sometimes it can put us in the wrong mindset. If you were going out to work, you'd get up and get ready, right? So perhaps on sluggish days, it might help you get in the mindset of working if you get ready and put on clothes. You want to be comfy but not comfy enough to fall asleep at your desk! If I am feeling particularly lazy, I will also do my makeup and hair too, don't ask me how it helps, it just does!

Be Strict...
When you are your own boss it's so easy to make excuses and let yourself get away with slacking, sometimes we need to be a bit stricter with ourselves. It's very easy to stay in bed that hour longer than we should, or that half hour break we take turns into a two-hour long Youtube watching marathon, or maybe we might not work at all and just tell our self to work longer tomorrow.

...But don't be too strict!
On the other hand, try not to work through the day with no breaks whatsoever. It can be easy to get lost in work and power through, but by the end of the day we feel broken and were too tired to even unwind! We perform better when we walk away for a little while and come back to something with a fresher perspective, so make sure you take breaks.

When we work for ourselves there's also a tendency to not ever fully switch off. I'm looking at you answering emails at 1 am! Make sure you do switch off and set yourself a finish time and try to stick to it as best you can.
Basically, it's about finding the right balance for you!
The best piece of advice I can give you is to find the right balance between work, rest and play.

Do you work from home? If so, do you have any tips? Let me know below!

Love Roar Dinosaur!
Twitter: roardinosaur_
Instagram: roardinosaurblog
Are we following each other on Bloglovin? Check out the side bar!

4 comments:

  1. Such great tips and I can totally relate! I have been working from home for the past 3 months and previously I have always worked in an office. I find that creating a little space for yourself, even if it is just a small desk, makes all the difference! Because when you sit in your 'office area' you already have the mindset that "we are at work now and we need to focus on work things". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting. I totally agree with you. How are you finding working from home? xx

      Delete
  2. This is so helpful, it is really important to get a routine together and be strict on yourself with it! I am really glad I found you blog now, it is so lovely.. well done you! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much hon that means a lot, I love yours too. xx

      Delete