About Me & Disclaimer

Thursday, 30 March 2017

Book Review: Come on Up to the House

Come On Up To The House by Dane Cobain.

I don't normally read fiction that falls under the horror genre as I am an absolute wimp! But I actually enjoyed this book. It made an interesting change to the usual book format that I read as the book is split into two. The first half is a novella and the original screenplay is at the back. It's very easy to imagine this being made into a film, although I probably wouldn't watch it on account of me being a wimp, as previously mentioned!

The novella only took me around 2 hours to read so this would make it the perfect book to take on a train/plane journey. Although I stupidly read it before bed!

I was instantly pulled into this story. I liked how descriptive Dane was as it made it seem even more real. The book is fast paced which I enjoyed as really slow books can make me zone out!

I've never read a book like this before. This isn't your typical horror ghost story as the entity, James,  isn't a ghost as such, he's pure evil. The house itself seems to lie under a veil of pure evil as well and anybody who lives there will be cursed by it and suffer tragedy, the cycle keeps repeating itself with each family who lives there. It's easy to imagine that perhaps the evil lurking there is growing with each family who moves in.


 
The prologue focuses on the minutes before James commits suicide. We briefly visit each of his family members throughout the house and there is a sense of tension and misery that has been building up to this moment.
 
In chapter one we meet the Jerseys who are in the process of moving into James' old home. They discover that the previous occupants were in a great hurry to leave as they have left much of their belongings behind. A neighbour tries to warn the Jerseys of the evil in their new home but they ignore him. James makes his presence known to the family more or less straight away focusing his main attention on Darren the teenage boy who has moved into James' old bedroom.

As the story moves along Darren, who was previously a normal, caring son and brother, becomes cold, mean and begins to take on James' characteristics. The two of them begin to work together which ends in tragedy for the whole family, resulting in an interesting plot twist that I didn't see coming. You get the feeling this family, or what's left of them, will never be the same again!

Whether you like horror or not I think this is worth reading as I can pretty much guarantee you'll have never read anything like it before!

You can get your copy Here or Here

*I was kindly sent this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
 
Love Roar Dinosaur!
 
Contact: roardinosaurblog@outlook.com
Twitter: @roardinosaur_
Instagram: @roardinosaurblog
Are we following each other on Bloglovin? Check out the side bar!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read a lot of horror novels either, but I love horror movies so I would probably like this! The plot sounds promising. Thanks for introducing me to it x

    Beauty From Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting! Yes it's a very different story, if you like Horror you'll probably enjoy it :) X

      Delete